Since every YA book out right now has the Edward hero, I figured I’d do a post about all the Edwards. Oh come on, you know the guy…don’t you?
Other than the requisite things about Edward from Twilight, the Edward archetype falls into the following pitfalls:
- He’s hot. Like scorching hot. Like he will melt your eyeballs out of your eye-sockets hot. Okay, maybe not that extreme, but you get the picture.
- He likes to brood. He’s got a lot on his mind, like ways of keeping you safe from even a chipmunk, so this translates into broodiness.
- He apparently knows everything. He might have been alive for awhile, so he knows about holy wars between mythical creatures, the way the universe works and even when you’re thinking about him.
- He’s hot and then he’s cold. One second, he gazes deeply into your orb-like eyes, as if he wants to drown in them. The next second, you could be a fly on the wall.
- He spies on you. Kind of creepy, but this is apparently his way of making sure you’re safe from everything. Like aforementioned chipmunk.
- He’s dangerous. You shouldn’t fall in love with him, and he’s warned you. But he falls anyways.